Two Debian 1.3 instability problems

Greetings!  Our Debian 1.3 system is quite stable except for two
things:

1) X sessions run along fine for a while, until I must hit some key
sequence which alters the X keymap.  The '9' and '(' keys
become unaccessible, and Alt-F4 is no longer recognized as the window
minimization command.  I'm using fvwm-95, and the following keyboard
section in my XF86Config:

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol	"Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol	"Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat	500 5
# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
# when using pre-R6 clients
#    ServerNumLock

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

    LeftAlt     Meta
#    RightAlt    ModeShift
#    RightCtl    Compose
#    ScrollLock  ModeLock

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

    XkbKeymap   "xfree86(us)"

EndSection

2) I have a Buslogic SCSI controller running a harddisk and a Wangtek
512MB tape drive.  All is well for a few days, until writes to the
tape produce the following syslog errors:

Jun 25 16:40:44 intech4 kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Jun 25 16:40:44 intech4 kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0).
Jun 25 16:40:44 intech4 kernel: No tape buffers allocated at initialization.
Jun 25 16:40:44 intech4 kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0).
Jun 25 16:40:44 intech4 kernel: st0: Can't allocate tape buffer.
Jun 25 16:41:43 intech4 kernel: st: Unloaded.

The user program reports the device as busy, though lsof reports no
program accessing it.  I'm running kernel 2.0.30.

Any help with either of these two problems would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

--
cmaguire@enhanced.com				      Camm Maguire