Re: What programs make disks spin up?

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> I don't think this is going to work, since Linux caches the superblock
> as well as other filesystem info.  There's a daemon called bdflush,
> which I believe has been incorporated into the kernel ... its  job is to
> flush dirty disk buffers.  Since Linux multitasks, I imagine something
> is being read from or written to the disk at pretty regular intervals
> ..

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only **dirty** buffers need to be written to disk by bdflush. I
nothing is writing to disk, (and nothing is reading blocks from
disk that are not cached) then no physical disk access needs to be
made.

> I've never heard of this bearing problem, so I have no idea if it
> exists.  However, I can tell you that we have several machines that are
> running 24/7 with no problems whatsoever ... some of the network servers
> have been up for years.

And yet, it could exist. I for one would like to hear more about
this unsubstantiated rumor.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com