Re: terminology/concept questions

> 1) Are shells geared toward specific tasks?... such as program creation, a
> shell built to specifically offer enhanced compiling and program
> generation capabilities?  another perhaps for graphics of some sort?

Not particularly.  sh was the original Bourne shell; I think it was the
first of the shells to come with a full programming language.
Unfortunately, traditional sh isn't too kind on the interactive user, so
Berkeley decided to fix this.  Unfortunately, they threw out the
language, too, and the result was csh, which is somewhat nicer for
interactive work but an exceptionally poor choice for scripts (due to
bugs, design decisions, etc.)

The later model shells, tcsh and bash, are actually fairly close to each
other. Bash included all of the interactive niceties from csh and more in
an sh frame (which is what Berkeley should've done in the first place,
IMHO), and tcsh fixes several of the traditional csh bugs.  I still think
bash is a better shell to use, but then I don't believe in csh and
derivatives.

A relatively new shell, zsh, promises the best of both worlds; it accepts
traditional sh syntax, quite a bit of csh, and has some very nice
features on the side.

So basically you have something like a dozen shells running around that
all do the same thing.
--
Graham Hughes <ghughes@cs.ucsb.edu>	MIME OK, PGP preferred

from stddisclaim import footer
pgp_fingerprint = "E9 B7 5F A0 F8 88 9E 1E  7C 62 D9 88 E1 03 29 5B"