Re: RFC: Prospective Kernel-Compiling mini-HOWTO

In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970623191853.1797A-100000@apocalypse.sequitur.org>, w
rites:
  >Hello,
  >
  >This file has been posted to this forum a few times before in earlier
  >versions.  I would very much appreciate feedback on it.  If enough people
  >think it's a good idea, I will attempt to contribute it to the LDP.

  >// if you want to preserve the asm, linux, and scsi libraries that shipped
  >// with your libc, simply mv them before doing the symlink manipulations
  >// below
  >
  >*) if necessary, cd /usr/include; ln -s asm-i386 asm
  >*) if necessary, cd /usr/include; ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm-i386
  >   asm-i386
  >*) if necessary, cd /usr/include; ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
  >*) if necessary, cd /usr/include; ln -s ../src/linux/include/scsi scsi

If /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to usr/src/kernel-source.x.yy.zz and
/usr/include/foo is a symbolic link to /usr/src/linux/include/foo you
will not need to change anything in /usr/include - it will follow the
links automatically.

  >*) if you use lilo, check /etc/lilo.conf for correct parameters (esp.
  >   things like "linear")

Leave your old kernel on the disk and make a pointer to it in /etc/lilo.conf:

  boot=/dev/hda3
  default=Linux
  compact
  install=/boot/boot.b
  map=/boot/map
  vga=normal
  delay=20
  # Current kernel
  image=/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    root=/dev/hda3
    read-only
    append="mem=32M"
  # Previous working kernel
  image=/vmlinuz.old
    root=/dev/hda3
    label=old
    read-only
    append="mem=32M

then you can reboot your old version without resorting to a rescue disk by
interrupting the lilo boot sequence with the control key before the 20
second delay (delay=20) expires and entering 'old' as the kernel to boot.

Isle of Wight                      http://homepages.enterprise.net/olly

In case of connection troubles, try olly@enterprise.net instead.