Re: Best e-mail approach for discon. sites

On Jun 11, jghasler@win.bright.net wrote
: > ... but what about sending messages from a disconneted site to the world?
:
: Do what all us poor smucks who have only part-time dial-up connections do:
: configure smail with smart_host=<main server> and queue_only, and
: run smail -q from ip-up.

IMHO the very best solution is UUCP.  It's designed for traffic between
disconnected sites and includes sophisticated scheduling (e.g. connect
only if the last connect was more than 4 hours ago, connect only between
8pm and 8am, connect only for high priority mails ... )

You should ask your provider for an UUCP account, this will show you
the qualification of your ISP.  (As I believe, only the really
experienced ISP can handle UUCP, probably the most newer ISP not even
know about it or say it's very ancient ... but I know companies only
accepting UUCP as their connection to the outer world, since for 'em
firewalls are not fireproof enoght ;-))

    Heiko
--
email : heiko@lotte.sax.de heiko@debian.org heiko@sax.de
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92