[tex] babel and 8-bit files

(Sorry for the last post.. I missed the Subject :-()

I've just installed the latex package (latex, babel, amslatex...) from
the 1.2.10 Debian distribution:

> dpkg -l latex babel
ii  latex             2e-7
ii  babel            3.6-4

But, when I run latex2e on a 8-bit file (with characters such as é,
ö instead of \'e, \"o), I got nothing (for the 8-bit characters). Is
it a misconfiguration from the Debian distribution or a problem which
comes from initex (and in that case, why having compiled a 7-bit
initex instead of a 8-bit?)

Thanks for any comment					Stéf II