Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

> What are the security implications of a default installation of dwww?  My
> understanding is that an http daemon must be active to use dwww.  Is this
> correct?  I have yet to set up my own http servers on Linux boxes because
> I am not confident in my understanding of the security issues.
>
> Thanks.  Syrus.

Well, it's probably a good idea to restrict access to dwww to just your
PC or your local area network.  The dwww CGI script should not be an
issue (except if you have a version before 1.4.1, which had a minor
flaw, which could be major if you configured your CGI scripts to run
as root).

However, if an attacking party can view dwww, they can determine
what software packages are installed on your machine, and use that
information to search for vulnerabilities.  Theoretically, an
up-to-date Debian machine should have no vulnerabilities -- but that
might not be the case with brand new security bugs, misconfigured
software, or a system that hasn't been updated for a while.

Restricting access to dwww is dependent on what web server you are
running.

For Apache or NCSA, add the following to your configuration files:

<Directory /var/www>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .jimpick.com
</Directory>

(replace the allow from clause with whatever is appropriate for
 your site)

I should add this information to dwww.

It would also be nice if dwww could automatically configure all
this automatically for whatever web server is installed -- but then
we get the situation where the installation script is a larger program
than the program it is installing (if it isn't already).

Cheers,

 - Jim