Re: Shadow passwords under X...

Many thanks, I made the change and will let the list know
if it works or not. (I'm not local to the machine at this
time)

Curt-

>Hello,
> I believe this problem occurs because the default xdm does not handle shadow
>passwords.  But there should be a file called xdm-shadow in /usr/X11/bin which
>will do what you want.  To run it during startup, try editing the xdm file in
>/etc/init.d.  Change the line that reads "start-stop-daemon --start --verbose
>--exec /usr/bin/X11/xdm" to "start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --exec
>/usr/bin/X11/xdm-shadow"  Best of luck.

>-Brad

>Message from Curt Howland (Howland@Priss.com):
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've been wrestling with X, just like everyone else it would
>> seem. However, I've gotten it *almost* working. The trouble
>> now seems to be related to shadow passwords.
>>
>> I have shadow passwords turned on, under Debian 1.3. However,
>> the X login started automatically at boot does not recognize
>> any of the valid userID/password combinations.
>>
>> My assumption is that X does not know about shadow passwords,
>> and from my investigations it seems I may be correct.
>>
>> 1) Is there a setting to make it work?
>>
>> 2) If !1, then how do I turn off the automatic X boot-up
>>    so I can startx after logging on?
>>
>> Curt-
>> Howland@Priss.com

---
Curt Howland  Howland@Priss.com  http://www.Priss.com
    "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith
ISBN:0-812-53875-7 Available from Laissez Faire Books
       http://www.lfb.org/   1.800.326.0996