Re: 16bit X-windows

This is a few days late (sorry)...but I just figured it out tonight.

To change the default server depth you can add a line to your XF86Config
file in the Screen section
   DefaultColorDepth 16

This works on my Mach64 accelerated driver which has 2Mb of memory
for 1024x768.  I had to delete the resolutions larger than 1024x768
to get this to work on my card due to the limited (?) memory.

I played with
  startx -- -bpp NN
until I found the resolution/depth combination I liked and just made
that the default in the XF86Config file.

A friend of mine has a newer version of the same card (for PCI) with 8Mb
so he can use Depth 32 with 1024x768...(I'm jealous)  ;-)

Bernt.
--
Bernt T. Hansen    - Norang Consulting Incorporated ---   bthansen@hookup.net
Computer Systems/  - 235 Bellamy Road N., Scarborough -  phone: (416)431-6216