Re: 1740 controller

>I was given a Compaq ProSignia pentium 50 for our user group here
>at the lab. It has 82 MB RAM and 6 1 gig drives on the builtin
>scsi controller. When I boot a custom kernel, it sees the
>aha1740 controller, and says '174x detected, but not in enhanced so
>disabled' (or something close to that. Huh? Does anyone have one
>of these beasties running? This will make a kickin Debian box
>*if* I can get it going. It also has a EISA ne3200 card in it, but thats
>another day.
>
>Tim

Hello Tim.

Well, i have a 2742 Controller running and i read a lot from people having
this card running.
In my opinion, due to this message, you have to configure your controller
with the EISA configuration utility, you should have for your motherboard.
And you need configuration files for each EISA card.
The EISA configuration usually runs under MSDOS, bootet from a floppy or
from a special boot disk.

I also have a ne3200 (intel etherexpress 32) in my system, but i can not
run it with linux, as it seems to be not supported. I tried a lot of
drivers for network cards, but it is not detected at boot time.
If you know more about it, please let me know.

good luck.

Marc.

Marc Herden, Dipl.-Ing.
Fraunhofer Institut fuer Integrierte Schaltungen - Bauelementetechnologie
Schottkystr. 10, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel: +49(0)9131/761-319, Fax: +49(0)9131/761-390