Diald setup problem - Please help

Hi all:

  I have the following problem which makes diald difficult to use. I have a
straight forward installation of debian with options (diald,ppp) file adjusted
to reflect my setup. Whenever I fire a network needy application (like telnet,
ftp) diald immediately wakes up and sets up the connection. However the
utility that woke up diald simply hangs. Furthermore, any other session started
soon after a connection is established goes through. Let me explain this with
a little example

command: telnet xxxx
actions: (1) telnet fires up resolves host addresses and tries to connect
         (2) diald wakesup and makes connection
         (3) connection is setup but telnet still hanging

Suppose I start another telnet at this time to same address the second one
will go though while the first one is still hanging. Furthermore, if diald
disconnect phone line due to inactivity then all running tools will hang even
if diald wakes up and reestablishes the connection immediately. I suspect some
routing problem but cannot figure out how to fix it.

Here is some config info.

  for diald
        mode ppp
        fifo xxxx
        accounting-log xxxx
        baud 57600
        modem
        crtscts
        defaultroute
        connect "chat -f chatscript"
        local 127.0.0.3
        remote <real-ip-address-of-netblazer>
        dynamic

device is ttyS1 (not cua1)

The options file of pppd is empty

kernel 2.0.x with slip, cslip and ppp

Please help. If I can help you with any debug output please let me know. I can
produce what you want and ship it to you. (I had asked this question to Eric,
the author of diald, but so far I have not received any response. Then again,
the problem started only after I switched from a very old slackware to debian
1.2 recently)

Thanks
Ramesh