Re: dselect selection

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 tgakem@chem.tue.nl wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to install debian on different PC's using  same  selection
> of  packages  for each PC.  Is it possible if I have one PC fully
> configured to take its list of  installed  packages  and  install
> these  on  a  second  pc, whithout having to go through the whole
> list with dselect again?  I'm currently using the debian  release
> on the recent Infomagic CD-ROM set (the green one).

We're doing kind of this thing over here, configuring about 50 PC's using
RedHat (*sniff*):

Create ONE installation. Then create a HUGE tar file, with the complete
installation on that computer.

Then boot linux on the other PC's, using a simple boot floppy, and RAMDISK
as root-filesystem. Open a socket on the server and on the client, and just
untar the huge file using thiose sockets (so, the uncompressed files are
going through the cables).

Works perfectly, apart from adapting some files in /etc, about the hostname.

bye

// Remco van de Meent
//   email: remco@cam053212.student.utwente.nl
//   www: http://cam053212.student.utwente.nl