Re: dpkg list of all packages [Was Re: dpkg and shadow]

> Is there a way to make dpkg give me a list (output) of ALL the packages
> (installed and not installed) along with their descriptions?  Even just
> the short one-liner descriptions?  ... I want to search ... by a keyword ...

	dpkg -l

	This produces a list of selected packages (installed, half-installed,
removed, etc.).  Purged packages are not included.  I have used this with
find(1), dpkg --search, and dpkg -s to obtain any information that I wanted
with regards to any downloaded packages.

	grep <string> /var/lib/dpkg/available

	This searches the dpkg database cache regarding packages that may
be downloaded.

See "dpkg --help" for further details.
--
						Robert Meier

FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.	Internet: meierrj@frc.com
Voice: 1-810-377-7469			Fax:      1-810-377-7363