Re: XF86 3.1.2 Memory hunger

Rick Macdonald <rickm@vsl.com> writes:

> Note that the latest libc deb package (5.4.7-7, I think) has a special
> malloc lib file to be used in much the same way. I haven't installed it
> yet, but it's the better way to handle this.

Yes, it works fine.  I use this as /usr/local/lib/netscape:

#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=libgnumalloc.so.5 \
exec /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape "$@"

with the netscape binary and java file in /usr/local/lib/netscape.
You don't need the Debian netscape package to install it.  Now that
netscape is elf X11R6, it finds the right paths without the Debian
netscape installer patching it.

Guy