Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work under X?

On Mon, 07 Oct 1996 12:43:00 PDT Bruce Perens (bruce@pixar.com) wrote:

> I don't know terribly much about X. Someone else please help this user.

Here it comes...

> From: Arrigo Triulzi <a.triulzi@ic.ac.uk>
> > Hello,
> >
> > 	sorry for writing to you direct but this is urgent: it seems
> > that under the Debian X11 installation it is impossible to reboot the
> > machine at the Xlogin prompt under xdm. I know this is a Good Idea
> > (tm) but we are running dual-boot systems and this is a requirement so
> > that students can switch back to DOS when then need.
> >
> > 	Basically, if we can't find a way of doing this we have to
> > remove Linux and we lose the chance of introducing it into the Dept.
> >
> > 	Please let me know if you have any idea on how to get C-A-Del
> > to work at the Xlogin prompt under xdm. I have checked the HOWTO's but
> > to no avail.

I won't suggest to you to enable CTRL-ALT-DEL. It doesn't work because under X, the server has full control over the keyboard, and the CRTL-ALT-DEL doesn't reach init (which normally does whatever you want, generally a reboot).
As we're under X, let's be gooey (GUI).
Here comes a small tcl/tk script which will appear under the xdm screen and give the opportunity to halt, reboot or go to a console session (ie kill xdm).
I had it installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/tkmgr, it it sits better in /usr/local/<somewhere>. Also included are the new Xsetup_0 and XStartup_0 scripts to be put in /etc/X11/xdm (they're pretty close to the original).
BTW, that means that you want to install the tcl and tk package (any version will do, only the runtime packages are needed).

Hope that helps.

Phil.

PS: I've cc'ed this to the list as I think quite a few people might be interested.