hda3 won't mount as root - ok on /mnt - ??? HELP!

Ouch! Still same problem.

Tried to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 (selecting multiple items in
deselect). The install bombed, kernel panic, (probably disk space?).
I had to use the reset switch. Now no boot. The partition containing
only /var (with deb files of course) was corrupted. All other partitions
checked out ok.

When trying to boot, lilo loads the kernel ok. Kernel does initial
checks. The console displays "VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
readonly", then nothing. Keystrokes are echoed to screen, but init
never starts. CtlAltDel works to reboot to the same thing.

Booting from floppy I can mount hda3 (my root) on /mnt. Yes, I
e2fsck'ed it, and it passes. Re-ran lilo (ROOT=/mnt /mnt/sbin/lilo),
went ok, but still no hda3 mount as root.

So, I'm stuck. I've another machine with some of 1.1 on it, which
could help if I knew what to try. I'd just like to recover my 1.1
system (2.0.6) so I can restart upgrading to 1.2. Lots of files in
/usr & /home I'd like to keep, so re-install is an absolute last try.

Any and all suggestions and opinions will be welcomed!
Best Regards for the New Year!  JohnT
<!--
	Life is non-orthogonal and big endian.