Can't type eight-bit characters in tcsh_6.06-9

Hello all!

I used to be able to type Chinese (which contain 8-bit characters) in tcsh
in X.  However, about a few weeks ago, perhaps after upgrading to the
latest package, tcsh seems to strip off the 8-bit characters that I
type to 7-bit.  I have set the environment LANG as:

	setenv LANG en_US

and it worked fine in tcsh until recently.  The current tcsh seems to
strip off the high-bit from what I type, but it display 8-bit characters
fine when I set the LANG environment properly.

After reading lots of manpages, READMEs, HOWTOs and FAQs, I still couldn't
figure out the problem.  (But thanks to this problem, I finally figured
out how to make bash (with the proper settings in ~/.inputrc) accept and
display 8-bit characters! :)

Puzzled, I went and look for an older tcsh package.  I went and downloaded
the file tcsh_6.06-3.tar.gz and compiled it...  and it worked!  I also
tried entering latin1 characters using compose, e.g. the key sequence

	Ctrl-. ' e

gives the e with an acute accent.  It worked in bash and the tcsh_6.06-3,
but not in tcsh_6.06-9.

So, the question is:  Is it a bug in tcsh_6.06-9, or do I have to
configure the NLS (Native Language Support) properly to make tcsh_6.06-9
work?  Did anyone experience the same problem I had?

Thank you very much for your help!

Anthony Fok
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca