Need Help

Hi! I want to become one of the enlightened, and start using Linux.
I've downloaded the Dedian Linux 1.1, and made my floppies with
rawrite2.

I have no special partitions now. Win95 is just installed on the
whole 853M HD. The Dedian instructions indicate that setting up
Linux and Linux Swap Partitions are part of their standard
installation, but, alas, I did not get near that point before I had
trouble.

After I hit <enter> at the boot: prompt, a bunch of stuff started
scrolling by. Having been warned about this by the instructions, I
paid little attention until it hung. There were two messages, that
seemed like error messages to me, still on the screen. The last(and
fatal?) one was, "Aiee, killing interrupt handler." The other was
near the top of the screen, and said, "unable to handle kernel null
pointer dereference at virtual address c00004d7."

My computer is a clone with an Intel 486DX2 at 66Mhz, Phoenix Bios
4.04, 24MB of xms ram, and a 853MB WD (E)IDE HD. I am likely to be
able to answer other specific questions on what I have or have done.

Any help you might give will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Matt