Re: Root login is waiting

Erick Branderhorst writes:

> I have a problem with root login again. All other logins are fine,
> but root login is waiting after I typed the password. Even
> su isn't working anymore. I updtated some packages, including
> a few from Incoming this morning, after reboot, this behaviour
> is present. Sound familiar, a solution?

This is a well know problem with syslog. However, it seems noone figured out
how to get rid of it. It was reported for both syslog 1.2 and 1.3 and for
almost all kernels between 1.2.13 and 1.3.100. We had a machine with this
problem, too. I did remove the xconsole line from /etc/syslog.conf (I like
my own configuration more, anyway) and installed the latest version (not the
one from incoming) and now the machine is fine again.

As far as I can tell syslog needs the time to log the root login (note that
other logins are not logged, so there's no delay) in the presence of of the
boot messages.

Please try removing xconsole and see if that helps.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/