Semigraphic characters on /dev/tty[1-6]

Hi,

by accident I had to read logging output, containing non printable
characters. So my /dev/tty/4 with TERM=con80x25 was broken. All out-
and input consists mostly of semigraphic characters. Pressing e.g. "g"
gives me a "plus/minus"-character. I can log in, log out, edit etc. -
but since I can read nearly nothing, this is not amusing (BTW, I can
read numbers).

Logging out, doing "reset", or restoring stty-parameters does not
help. Same goes for killing the appropiate getty or the old trick
starting vi.

But: After pressing the <F1>-Key and hitting <RET> I get PASSWORD:
>From this point on I have nearly the normal login procedure
(everything in capital letters).

Logging out, doing normal login - semigraphic characters strike back
again.

Any hints ?

Gerd