AHA2490 & Installing Debian on a machine NOT running linux

Hi.

I'm trying to install Debian on an MSDOS only system.

I down loaded the boot+root+base disks from ftp.inf.tu-dresden.

The linux kernal won't recognise my PCI SCSI Adaptec card.
All the information I have managed to find (SCSI-HOWTO for instance)
requires that I patch the kernal or recomplile it or do something that
requires me to already be running linux! Now that's helpful.

What do I do?

Secondly, I had to do d/l GZIP.EXE and RAWRITE.EXE from a Slackware
install directory. Should I be having to do this?

Hope someone can help me.

Paul.