Ethernet strangeness.

I've got these two PC's at home, and was able to scrounge 2 ethernet
cards for them.  One machine is still running an old Slackware
distribution; the other has debian 0.93R6.

They both detect their ethernet boards, and I added 'ifconfig' and
'route' commands to the startup scripts.

If I boot both machines, and start each of them pinging the other,
nothing happens for about 90 seconds, then the floodgates open, and
all the ping packets get sent and echoed by the other.

After this happens, network operation is normal; I can
telnet/ftp/etc.

If I separately boot one machine, the network will come up fine.  I
can ping/telnet/ftp either way.  I only have the problem when both
machines have yet to use the eth0 interface.

Any ideas?

Another strange thing occurs, only on the debian machine.  At the
first login, after entering the password, there is a several second
pause before the normal banner stuff is displayed, like it is trying
to contact some machine on the network and timing out.  If I boot
without configuring eth0 there is no pause.

*Both* machines also have a significant pause the first time you try
telnet'ing to them, after the
     Connected to x.x.x.x.
     Escape character is '^]'."
lines are printed, but before the login: prompt.
On subsequent attempts to telnet to the other, no pause.

Perhaps there are some network configuration files that I don't know
about that is causing this?

--
Steve Preston (spreston@gte.com)