Re: dselect with multiple Packages lists

I have recently installed Debian, but had difficulty with dselect and
installed my system manually using dpkg.  I have since tried playing with
dselect and have been able to get it to work (sort of) with my CD-ROM
drive, but find it a little clunky (I'm sure that once I get familiar with
it, I'll find it a lot more convenient than just using dpgk).  Since I'm
not sure just how it works I'm a little hesitant to use it, so I'd like to
ask some more experienced Debian dselect users some advice.

In particular, when I bring up the '[S]elect' packages screen, I get lines
something like this for packages I've already got installed:

HIOS Pri Section  Package      Description
 *** Opt comm     uucp         Unix to Unix Copy Program

I interpret this as a package that has been previously installed with
no errors.  Also, it's a package that was selected for installation
previously and it is currently selected for installation.

Now my question is this:  Should I press the '-' key on this one so that
dselect doesn't try to install this when I choose the [I]nstall option
from dselect's main screen? (What I want to do is install another package
that is currently not installed).  Or should I press the 'H' key so that
it is placed on hold and not processed in this session of dselect?
What I do *not* want to happen is to have my config files over-written,
or the package re-installed.

Another question:  When I choose the [A]ccess option and select my
CD-ROM drive everything seems o.k..  Then when I try to choose the
[U]pdate option, I get the following error messages:

> mount: you must specify a filesystem type for /dev/sbpcd0
>
> update available list script returned error exit status 1.
> Press RETURN to continue.

Oddly enough, prior to running the [U]pdate option, I had my CD-ROM drive
mounted as shown below:

# mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sbpcd0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

But after unsuccessfuly running the [U]pdate option, the CD-ROM drive
became unmounted, as shown below.

# mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me and if this has
been discussed and resolved before, please point me to the appropriate
on-line files/doc's and I'll RTFM. ;-)

Best regards,

                                      Nick

Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org