Re: SLIP and PPP routing problems

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Nelson Posse Lago fflch - fsl 3704 wrote:

> problem: when I use DIP with SLIP or PPPd to connect to my
> university, neither one alters the routing table. DIP doesn't
> even do "ifconfig sl0 up".

This was said by Karl Ferguson in response to a question by
Mark Patterson:

   > I just switched over from Slackware to Debian, and I'm only having
   > one problem right now. I appear to be able to connect to my SLIP server
   > using dip, but the route table only shows localhost.

   The problem is with the slhc module under 1.2.13 - it's corrupt or
   something like that.  If you compile a kernel with SLIP/CSLIP into the
   kernel and dont load slip/slhc as modules you'll find all will be ok.

   Hope this helps,

   ...Karl

I don't recall having any trouble with dip, but I may not have tried
it before rebuilding the kernel.

 #   sbolt@xs4all.nl   #   Steven Bolt   #   popular science monthly KIJK    #