Re: Debian vs. BOGUS

... "richard" == Richard Kettlewell <richard@elmail.co.uk> writes:

>    Bruce> The location of the source,

richard> What does this gain?

People ask in newsgroups, where to get the program xxx; I want to check
-- before reporting a bug -- whether there is a newer version of program
xxx...

richard> What if a package is a combination of several `upstream' packages,
richard> each with its own set of authors?

BOGUS has:

FTP1:     sunsite:/dir/subdir
TARFILE1: package-1.23.tar.gz
FTP2:     sunsite:/dir/subdir
TARFILE2: package-2.34.tar.gz
FTP3:     sunsite:/dir/subdir
PATCHFILE: file

richard> What if the instructions for
richard> getting it are more complex than just an ftp URL?

Put the source together and store the created tar.gz on a FTP server.

richard> therefore the current system not only seems to me to be
richard> perfectly adequate but furthermore has desirable side effects.

I don't like such side effects.

Karl