Re: The /usr/doc Hierarchie

 Ian> In general, documentation source should be in the source
 Ian> package.  The /usr/doc directory can contain PostScript, DVI,
 Ian> ASCII, ASCII with overprint highlighting, &c.

We have to ask who is it, who wants to use the /usr/doc -- I like the
idea, it's the online user, who wants to view helpful documents quickly.
Therefore I think, there should be a priority list: ASCII comes first,
since you are able to search for strings; then ASCII with highlighting;
then DVI (displaying DVI normally is quicker than PS).

 Ian> I don't think TeX source is appropriate; it is definitely
 Ian> inappropriate if no formatted version is provided.

Agreed.

    >> /usr/doc/base /usr/doc/admin /usr/doc/mail

 Ian> I disagree, strongly.  It is important to be able to find
 Ian> things in /usr/doc, even if one is a naive user.  Having to use
 Ian> (for example) `find' is unacceptable.

Generally, I do not think "a naive user" is stupid.  If `ls' displays
more than one screen, she should know something about ``How to pipe
output to a pager''...  If `find' is unacceptable, someone will offer a
script, that hides `find'.  Right now /usr/doc is an ugly mixture; I
hate to see directories containing files and subdirs--of course, I
hate my $HOME ;-)

To provide examples is a good idea--but why hide these examples in
doc/examples (e.g., doc/examples/linuxdoc-sgml/example.sgml vs
doc/linuxdoc-sgml)?  Next time I will offer psgml-1a8-1.deb which has

    usr/doc/copyright/psgml
    usr/doc/examples/psgml-1a8/
    usr/doc/examples/psgml-1a8/dot.emacs
    usr/doc/examples/psgml-1a8/catalog.sgml
    usr/doc/examples/psgml-1a8/style.el
    usr/doc/psgml-1a8/README.gz

But I would prefere

    usr/doc/copyright/psgml
    usr/doc/sgml/psgml-1a8/
    usr/doc/sgml/psgml-1a8/dot.emacs
    usr/doc/sgml/psgml-1a8/catalog.sgml
    usr/doc/sgml/psgml-1a8/style.el
    usr/doc/sgml/psgml-1a8/README.gz

and I would like to see the linuxdoc stuff there as well:

    usr/doc/copyright/linuxdoc-sgml
    usr/doc/sgml/linuxdoc-sgml/README
    usr/doc/sgml/linuxdoc-sgml/examples/example.sgml
    usr/doc/sgml/linuxdoc-sgml/guide/{guide.ps.gz,guide.sgml,...}
    usr/doc/sgml/linuxdoc-sgml/html/{guide.html,guide.sgml-2.html,...}

 Ian> One should not need to know how a package was installed when
 Ian> looking up its documentation - remember that the user is not
 Ian> always the sysadmin.

Yes, but since the Debian dist. offers funny names, there should be no
problem (`mail', `editors', etc.; the BOGUS dist. in contrast, has
`doc/bin', `doc/usr.bin', `doc/usr.bin.X11').

Karl.