Sharing /usr over net

Hi,

In the building I live in, we have a small network. A fellow student
who usually runs MSD*S on his machine wanted to be able to run linux
without repartitioning and using as little harddiskspace as
neccecary. I tried to hack an installation using UMSDOS and the Debian
installation disks. But all my hackerskills wasn't enough, I think it
is impossible. The installationdisks requires an ext2 partition for
root, and if I mounted the UMSDOS partition in /root it didn't
recognize it. The end of the story was that I installed on my own
dospartion /etc /bin /sbin /var and some other directories there,
entered dos arj'ed it and extracted it on his machine, and with a
little adjustment it worked fine.

My question is now:

    wouldn't it be nice if the installation program supported umsdos
    partitions

    and supported some sort of server client concept where you
    installed packages on the server and they were automatically
    installed on the clients (of course only the files that are
    resident on that machine)

Ok maybe it is a little wild

/Erik
--