Re: Filesystem standards (was Re: Pcomm and term)

On Thu, 3 Mar 1994, James A. Robinson wrote:

> I already compiled term v1.12 for Debian, and have uploaded the
> term112.tar.gz source with precompiled binaries to debian Incoming.
> The default install directory for these is /usr/*, not /usr/local/*,
> since I was assuming that they would be part of the base package (like
> kermit and pcomm).

How extensively have you tested it? I ask because I know a lot of people
who had no problems compiling, but have been unable to get it working
with any degree of stability.

Also, I strongly urge anybody working on packages to subscribe to the
FSSTND group and keep abreast of things there.

Also, before people begin throwing together binary packages, we need to
establish a hierarchy for optional packages that everybody agrees on. Then
we (as package maintainers) need to determine if our particular package
is 'base' or 'system' software or strictly optional software and then build
our respective packages accordingly. There is a crazy debate on linux-FSSTND
about this stuff right now and I urge all package developers to follow it.

I believe the current concensus is that the /usr/local hierarchy is strictly
for locally written and installed software only, i.e. not the place to put
optional debian packages like term. Whether it should go in /usr/* or
/usr/opt/* or /usr/contrib/* needs to be decided still.

jonathan