Re: Rsnapshot

Marc Zimmermann <marcstud@tiscali.de> wrote:
> will mein Home Verzeichniss per rsnapshot auf einem Fileserver sichern.
> Hab jetzt folgendes in die rsnapshot.conf eingetragen:
>
> backup  /home/marc/     marc@server:/home/marc/
>
> Das legt mir aber nur im meinem lokalen Backupverzeichiss einen snapshot
> mit dem verzeichnis marc@server an.
> In die umgekehrte Richtung, also von Server aus mein Homeverzeichnis
> sichern funktioniert.
>
> Auf Server:
>
> backup  marc@arbeitsstation:/home/marc/       arbeitstation
>
> Würde gerne aber die snapshots von der Arbeitsstation aus starten.

http://www.rsnapshot.org/faq.html
Q:  Can I set the snapshot_root to a remote SSH path? I want to push my
	backups to a remote server, rather than pull them from a remote server.

A: 	Currently this is not possible. This would be a nice feature, but several
    questions remain unanswered:

	* How can the integrity of the snapshot root be guaranteed if one or more
	remote servers have write access to it?

	* When snapshots are rotated, which of the potentially several remote
	servers connecting is responsible for performing this task?

	* One possibility is to have a "staging" area for files to be transferred
	to, then have rsnapshot sync from this staging area into the snapshot root.
	Can this be accomplished without taking up double the disk space?

	Christoph