Help with SGML errors

First off, my apologies for the long output.  If this is not the right
place to ask this question, could you point me to the right list?

I'm writing a SGML document and I'm getting some errors when converting
to HTML, LATEX, LYX,... (same errors with all of them):

/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:6:10:E: no start tag specified for implied empty
element "NAME"
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:7:5:E: document type does not allow element
"DATE" here
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:8:9:E: document type does not allow element
"ABSTRACT" here
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:10:4:E: document type does not allow element
"TOC" here

The HTMLized output seems ok, though.  These are the tags I'm using:

----- start doc.sgml -----
<!doctype linuxdoc system>

<article>

<title>any title

<author><p>author1 <tt/<url url="mailto:auth1@email.com"; name="&lt;auth1@email.com&gt;">/ <p>author2 <tt/url usl="mailto:auth2@email.com"; name="&lt;auth2@email.com&gt;">/
<date>v0.x May 1999

<abstract/place any text here/

<toc>
----- end doc.sgml -----

If I supress the <p> tags everything works fine, but then I get the
different authors names in one line.  I tried with the html <br> tag,
but that didn't work either.  I also tried writing three different
<author> tags for the different authors, and it work but:

/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:7:7:E: document type does not allow element
"AUTHOR" here
/usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:8:7:E: document type does not allow element
"AUTHOR" here

Is there a "clean" way of doing this?

TIA
--