Re: make menuconfig (potato)

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 04:48:49PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote
> On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 06:03:04PM -0500, Brad wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 May 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > > Why are the menuconfig boxes now shown with ascii characters (*, |,
> > > etc.) instead of real lines as in earlier versions?
> >
> > What's your TERM environment variable set to? On my system, if it's
> > "linux", "rxvt", or "xterm-debian" it uses color and lines. "vt100" goves
> > lines but no color. "xterm" gives ASCII chars and no color.
> >
> > The default for a console should be "linux". For an Xterm from the deb
> > package, it should be "xterm-debian". For an rxvt, it should be "rxvt".
> >

> TERM=linux  There is color, but no lines.
>
> System is potato, kernel 2.2.9.

At the console (i.e., not under X) this is also affected by the font you
load using setfont, or SVGATextMode.  If you're in 80x25 console mode, try
setfont cp850-8x16
which should fix it (on the current vt) if that is the reason.

If this isa the problem and you have SVGATextmodse installed, you should
edit /etc/TextConfig to fix it permanently; if you are not using
SVGATextmode, edit /etc/kbd/config.

Good luck,

John P.
--