Re: Changing IP address

So far I have had a couple of people help and this is what we have come up with.

To change the IP address of a system the following files need to be modified.

/etc/hosts - This was easy to figure out.

/etc/resolv.conf - Just change the DNS servers to the new IP's.

/etc/networks - I am a little confused on this one.  My system had a single line in
this file of:
localnet 204.178.205.224  where the IP address of the linux system was 204.178.205.227

and the pipeline router's IP was 204.178.205.225.  How is the number determined?  It
must have been calculated by the install scripts as I do not remember typing it in.

/etc/init.d/network - Here is where I am having my problems.

I have modified the IPADDR to my new IP address of the linux system.  XXX.XXX.XXX.103
I have left the NETMASK at 255.255.255.248 as it was set before.
I set NETWORK to the IP address of the router minus XXX.XXX.XXX.100  - IS THIS
CORRECT?
I set the BROADCAST to what it was before XXX.XXX.XXX.231 - IS THIS CORRECT?
The GATEWAY is set to XXX.XXX.XXX.101 which is the IP address of my router.

The lines:

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}

executes without any errors.

route add -net ${NETWORK}

executes and gives the error SIOCADDR: invalid argument

The last line also gives an error "SIOCADDR: Network is unreachable" but I think that
is probably caused by the former error.

Is there anything else we need to change that is not listed above? -or- Does anyone
have an idea of why this error occurs and what value NETWORK shoud be?

Any ideas on an easier way to get this working?  I know during the original install,
it was much easier to understand and many of these parameters were calculated by the
script.

Thanks,

Doug