Re: Sound devices missing

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Mark Nellemann wrote:

>Whenever I install a Debian (slink or potato), it seems that the sound
>devices (/dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, ..) is missing.  So I install the devices
>with a script from a 2.0.x kernel found in Documentation/sound.
>
>Am I wrong or is this the right thing to do ?

I don't know if it's actively wrong, but the "standard" way to do it is
to use the script in /dev/ calles MAKEDEV (or something like that..
you'll see it).  Run "MAKEDEV audio".

You should look in the script to make sure that this is correct.  It may
have a manpage as well.

A word of warning - by default, it makes the devices in your present
working directory, so be in /dev/  when you run it :)

					-Michael