Re: X and nice values

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 10:57:55PM +1200, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> I was reading somewhere recently that you should run X with a nice value
> of -10... I can't remember which document I saw this in now, I think it
> was one of the X setup HOWTOs.

ISTR it is in the XFree86 FAQ, possibly among other places.

> Well, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is this changing of the nice value considered a good idea?

For performance reasons, yes.  I frankly don't know what all the issues
are, but I personally wouldn't renice anything to be equal to or less than
the swapper's priority (-12).  I don't pretend that this principle is
grounded in anything but the vaguest of reasoning, however.

> 2) If I use XDM/WDM, how can I set the nice value of X? I can figure out
> how I'd do it if I was starting X from the console, but I've no idea how
> to do it from WDM.

I always just fire up top from a root shell and renice it from there.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   screaming mob pounding on a greasy spot