xscreensaver and gnome

Hi, I hope I'm not asking a silly question that could be found out by reading
the docs, but I have a weird situation.

I recently removed my xscreensaver 2.xx that comes with slink and installed
3.12 from sources (I wanted sonar).  Now, when I run 'xscreensaver-demo' and
select a particular screensaver, all I ever get is IFS no matter what
screensaver I select.  I belive this has to do with my selecting IFS as my
screensaver in gnome-control-center.  However, gnome-control-center does not
see any of the new screensavers from the new distribution.

Any ideas how to get gnome-control-center to see the new screensavers and/or
xscreensaver-demo to show the screensaver I click on?

Thanks very much.

-Dano

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                  -- Benjamin Franklin

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours."
                  -- Stephen Roberts