Problems getting mysql functions to work in php3

Ok, I install php3 right (well, at least it works) in apache so far as I can tell. But I can't get the mysql functions to work,
I installed php3-mysql -- and now I have a line in my php3.ini:
extension=mysql.so

and mysql.so is in (i've checked) my extension_dir.

I don't see any error messages other than when I try to use mysql functions (like mysql_connect) -- is there any way to debug this or see what the problems are in loading mysql.so into php3?

Thanks,

-abr