Re: pciutils package (was: Sound blaster 16 pnp)

Hans van den Boogert wrote:

    That explains something I experienced before. Thanks for the tip.

    BTW, this pciutils package is not in the basic Debian 2.1 set up, yet with
    every boot up the kernel invokes lspci, which is doesn't find of course. Is
    this an oversight from the team who compiled the installation list, or is
    there a reason for omitting? Seems a bit strange to me.

    Hans

Infact it seems to be the best thing that could have been done. PnP support is
provided beginning
with kernel 2.2 series and slink is by default shipped with 2.0.36
pciutils package will not work with 2.0.36, so there is no use putting it into
the basic Debian 2.1 setup.
Slink is a kernel 2.2 ready distribution and it is nice to have lspci invoked
(without making any modifications in the boot scripts) at runtime once you have
upgraded to kernel 2.2
I get to like debian more and more when I notice such design details.

Byeee
Onur