enlightenment, rpm

ok i wanted the latest version of enlightenment on my debian 2.1 so i
took the rpm off of the RH6 cd and copied it to /.  then i did alien -d
theenlightenmnetrpm.rpm on the rpm and it generated it.  i also did it
on the enlightenment-conf rpm.  then i used dpkg -i on the .deb files
and everything went smoothly except for warnings about libungif.  then i
attempted to start enlightenment but it said no libungif so i got that
off of the RH6 cd also and did alien, dpkg etc. and installed it
everything went smoothly also.  then i try to start enlightenment and i
get "segmentation fault".  can anyone tell me either how to fix this or
how to get the latest (latest being 15) ver. of enlightenment on my sys
using apt or dselect or something like that (either of which i do not
have much knowledge).  is there a way i can get it on there without
installing it from tarballs?  i'd like to keep my system homogenous of
debian packages.  thank you