Re: Sound blaster 16 pnp

Roddie,
I've just configured my SoundBlaster Vibra 16pnp card on Friday.
I started off sending a posting to this newsgroup, compiled a 2.2 kernel,
read plenty of docs and manuals and if you have the some card that is
Vibra 16, than I guess you may be experiencing the same problems I have
experienced a week before.

The answer is in the kernel docs. I have installed kernel 2.2.9 and looking
up  ./Documentation/sound/VIBRA16 will be helpful. The following paragraph
is from the mentioned file.

    So, the big problem still remains, because the sb module wants a
    8-bit and a 16-bit dma, which we could not allocate for vibra... it supports

    only two 8-bit dma channels, the second one will be passed to the module
    as a 16 bit channel, the kernel will yield about that but everything will
    be okay, trust us.

What this means is that, as the 16-bit dma channel you have to pass another
8-bit dma channel that is instead of passing irq 5,6,7 etc. you have to pass irq
0,1,2,3
At some point an error message is displayed, something similar to
"Bad dma channel."
Simply IGNORE THIS MSG. Everthing works fine once configuration is complete.
The message is displayed because the sb module expectes one  8-bit an another
16-bit dma channel, but you have to pass teo 8-bit dma channels to the module.

Another tip that might be helpful; if you are using slink, install pciutils
package, which provides
lspci utility which can be invoked by pnpdump when called with the argument '-c
'.
Once lspci is installed pnpdump worked fine for me, I did not have to make any
further
modifications in /etc/isapnp.conf

Before invoking pnpdump, do not forget to remove all the sound modules first.
This was one of the mistakes I made. If you skip this step some of the irq's
might be marked as being used. and pnpdump will not produce the correct results.
Using lsmod and rmmod may be helpful.

Summary
    Install pci utils
    pnpdump -c > /etc/isapnp.conf
    Install the following modules: sb, sound. soundcore, uart401, opl3

Using insmod what I did for testing was
    insmod soundcore
    insmod sound
    insmod uart401
    insmod sb irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3 io=0x220 mpu_io=0x330
    insmod opl3 io=0x388
Then
    cat /dev/sndstat

That's all.