Re: booting dos and linux

On Sun, 23 May 1999, shadowze wrote:

> I'm guessing that you could run FDISK to cut a dos partition out and add
> the boot flag to it and boot Debian off a floppy after removing it's boot
> flag.. This is where I chicken out because I had a heck of a time getting a
> floppy to boot but I didnt have the full system so I would make sure I had
> a good boot floppy first.

Just set the dos partition as the default in lilo.conf, then you don't
have to mess with floppies.

You can also use the "message" parameter to have lilo display a menu.
"prompt" tells it to give you a prompt, and "timeout" tells it how long to
wait before selecting the default, in deciseconds.
  prompt
  timeout=100
  message=/boot/startup-msg
  default=dos
It would display the file /boot/startup-msg, give a prompt, and if you
didn't type anything in 10 seconds (or if you just hit enter at the
prompt), it would act as if you had typed "dos".