Re: mail clients

On 1999-05-22 23:45, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> Why not just have multiple instances of Communicator?

That's trouble.  To my understanding there is only one lock file for
the .netscape directory which would render concurrent access either
inoperable or a disaster.

> Linux users faced with a problem have programmed around it.

This is what I would do (sendmail can do the + user thing easily
but I don't know if that'll work for other MTAs):

.fetchmailrc:

poll isp1
user user1
pass "secret1"
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d localuser -f localuser+user1"

poll isp2
user user2
pass "secret2"
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d localuser -f localuser+user2"

.procmailrc:

MAILDIR=some_path

* ^From localuser+user1
$MAILDIR/user1

* ^From localuser+user2
$MAILDIR/user2

For outgoing mail you have two options:

	1. Send out mail for both accounts using the local MTA.
	   This requires a broken MTA setup or that you specified
	   that some user might set the from header.

	2. Send out mail using local and remote MTA depending on user.
	   You need a MUA that supports specification of both user
	   and smtp server (and two config files for it).

2 is the better option, it doesn't look like mutt likes remote smtp
servers but I could be wrong (just skimmed the docs).  There are other
MUA that does (communicator for instance).

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			Phone: 	781.938.5272 (home)
687 Main Street, 2nd Floor	Fax: 	781.938.6641 (fax/modem)