Re: xf86config

> I'm completely new to Linux, so apologies if this is excessively thick ...
>
> I've been trying to get xwindows working.  I've gone through xf86config, and
> then when I try 'startx' it goes into what I assume is the xwindow
> environment (blue screen, mouse cursor), beeps at me and appears to hang.
> Control-Alt-Backspace gets me out o.k.  I'm wondering if this is because I
> am unsure of the path for my mouse driver, which I am prompted to supply
> during the xf86config session.  Is there any way I can find out where/what
> this is?
>
> Steve

When you shut the server down, do you get any error messages in the
console? If so, post them here.
The mouse plugs into a serial port. /dev/ttyS?, where 0 is COM1, 1 is COM2
and so on. This is the only path you need to supply. It differs depending
upon the type of your mouse (PS2 vs. Serial), but that is all. The effect
of it hanging is , I think, from the IRQ conflict or a wrong COM port
supplied. The only thing that
happens when you open X is you can't move your mouse, right? That doesnt
mean whole X hanged. So..check whether you are supplying the right COM
port to the X, and whether you have any IRQ conflicts. The right COM port
for mouse is usually 1 or 2, which is /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1.
As for IRQs, 'cat /proc/interrupts' and see if anything comes up. The most
common IRQ conflict would be between  a NIC/Modem/SOundcard and the mouse.

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu