Re: gdm/xdm/login.app weirdnesses

On 20 May, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> [ cross-posting is not welcomed, btw ]

sorry, i'll keep that in mind next time.  fairly new to mailing lists,
i'm afraid =)

> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 04:05:23AM -0500, solomon@temple.dhis.org wrote:
>
>> I'm running potato and till recently was running XDM with login.app to
>> give the login screen a nice clean look.  Then GDM (Gnome Display
>> Manager) showed up in unstable so i grabbed it.  Next time i rebooted,
>> it gave me the gnome login screen and my mouse works, but for some odd
>> reason it disables my keyboard.  The kb works through bootup but once
>> it goes to the gdm login screen my led lights won't even come on & off.
>
> gdm is fighting with getty over the keyboard.  I'd guess there's a file
> called /etc/X11/gdm/Xservers.  You'll need to modify the entry for the local
> server and add "vt7" to it, like this:
>
> 	:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X vt7

thanks for the tip! i'll be sure to do this if i ever get up the nerve
to try gdm again.  i don't get all the hoopla over gnome, anyway...just
a bunch of programs that look alittle like windows apps, seems to me.

> (of course, replace vt7 with whatever it's ok for your system)

i will need to know what this vt7 thing means before i can know what's
okay for my system...

--
-Jared Johnson