Help setting up mail...sending/recieving

Are there any instructions on how to set up mail for a "standard" home-desktop user? I.E.: I send my mail via smtp and recieve via pop3?

I got fetchmail working -- but it seems that all my messages are "frozen" -- is some filtering program messing up my program?

and sending mail is just the same kind of disaster -- I used eximconfig and typed in everything I thought I should -- no entry for an actualy smtp server, so I guessed where it should go.

I noticed that none of the standard HOWTOs in LDP have anything about exim and they all talk about smail and sendmail..

Anyway -- if someone would help me through this or just give me some pointers on where to proceed. I honestly thought I was finished when I got fetchmail working....but I haven't solved anything, only created more problems.

-abr