Re: minicom -> dumb terminal?

> Has anyone used minicom to provide a dumb terminal using a null modem cable?

Yes. I wanted to be able to compile and test a kernel on a remote Linux
server, so I had to be able to use Lilo in case the fresh kernel
couldn't boot the machine.

> If so, any tricks to that?

If you configure your kernel, say yes to:
Support for console on serial port
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE
  If you say Y here, it will be possible to use a serial port as the
  system console (the system console is the device which receives all
  kernel messages and warnings and which allows logins in single user
  mode). This could be useful if some terminal or printer is connected
  to that serial port.

  Even if you say Y here, the currently visible virtual console
  (/dev/tty0) will still be used as the system console by default, but
  you can alter that using a kernel command line option such as
  "console=ttyS1". (Try "man bootparam" or see the documentation of
  your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) about how to pass options to the
  kernel at boot time. The lilo procedure is also explained in the
  SCSI-HOWTO, available via FTP (user: anonymous) in
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.)

  If you don't have a VGA card installed and you say Y here, the
  kernel will automatically use the first serial line, /dev/ttyS0, as
  system console.

And I have this in /etc/lilo.conf on the remote machine:

[cut]

vga=normal
delay=20
default=2.2.7