xfonts-base
xserver-svga
xdm

I have the following:
Video adapter VGA
Monitor VGA color
Video Memory: 0kb
VGA chipset: Western Digital

My mouse is Microsoft, so I guess the name is /dev/psaux (it's PS/2
compatible). It's a 2 button mouse.
So I configured the Xserver like this:
Mouse protocol: Microsoft
Mouse device: /dev/psaux
Emulate3buttons enabled
Resolution Medium (default)
Button 3 (default)
Sample rate : 0 (default)
Emulate3timeout 50 (default)

I don't have a video card, so the card selected was none.

Then I commited the changes, and ran the server using startx.

But the mouse only seems to remain in the first row, and even then moves
very fast..it seems to be too sensitive. Also the menu barely pops up.
All I get is a fine checkered screen with a cross signifying the mouse
pointer. And when I click on any of the buttons, I don't get anything, no
arrow, no menu, nothing..

I thought this may be of help in diagnosing the problem:
I get the following warning: /dev/psaux unable to get status of mouse fd
(Inappropriate ioctl for device)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Michelle Maria Coelho