Re: International characters don't work in console mode

Quoting debian@home.se (debian@home.se):
> I'm using Debian Linux 2.1 and have tried to get international characters
> to work in console mode. But, it will not work! The characters that I
> especially want to display are from the swedish alphabet: the "a" character
> with a ring above the "a", and the "a" character with two dots above the
> "a" and finally the character "o" with two dots above the "o".

[snip]

> I have also been using the "loadkeys se-latin1" command after I have edited
> the keymaps in
> /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/se-latin1.map.gz

Use kbdconfig (as root) and choose n -> i386 -> qwerty -> fi-latin1

I'm having trouble with se-latin1 (can't use ']'), but fi-latin1 works
fine.

> It seems that all characters above 127 is impossible to get/put in the
> console mode! Why?

You must tell bash to accept 8-bit character input and output. Add the
following to /etc/inputrc (or ~/.inputrc):

set convert-meta off
set input-meta on
set output-meta on

/Andreas