We got '-dpkg-new'!

Having bulled my way through the extermination of emacs20, I went ahead with a
massive apt-get update/upgrade, 129 meg all tolled. The cable modem is doing
its thing with valor.

Now I notice syslogd has been stopped so I peek into /etc/init.d and behold a
bevy of new scripts eg 'whutever.dpkg-new'. Without looking further into the
matter, they mostly appear to be of identical length to their 'old' forebears.

What is the prescribed course of action with these? Copy them over into their
working names and restart the respective process? Or has that been done?

/signed,

Muddled in Rhode Island

--
Bob Bernstein                      <ruptured-duck@home.com>