Re: small problems after installing potato

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 11:42:25PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:

> > P> software with dselect, it tries to upgrade my custom kernel to the
> > P> default 2.2.5 kernel (my custom kernel is also 2.2.5).
> >
> > How did you build it? When you use kernel-package, you can use a
> > revision number that is higher than any that could possible be in the
> > archive (well on reasonable grounds), so dselect and apt won't
> > recognise the official one as a newer version.
>
> I was wondering if I could do that, and avoid this problem without having to
> download a newer kernel.
> >
> > Either set the kernel-image package on hold ( "=" in dselect), or
> > recompile you cuszom kernel with somthing like
> >
> > make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel-image
> >

> thanks, I was unsure if I could just put the kernel package on hold.

This is not a common problem, but exists with kernel-2.2.5 because the
version includes an epoch in the numbering (see
/usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz). If you use:

make-kpkg --revision=1:custom.1.0 kernel-image

you can avoid this in the future.  Putting it on hold works, however.

Bob