Weird SCSI behaviour when extracting audio from CDROM

Hi all:

I'm having a problem with using cdparanoia with Plextor 12/20 and
Qlogic SCSI-2 adapter. Well, actually, I have had no problems, and
happily extracted from many CDs. Until today I've got this somewhat
scratched (nothing bad) CD, and it causes SCSI driver turmoil if I try
to extract it. Other software also have problems

After cdparanoia sits there for about 3 minutes, not doing anything, I
start getting this message at a regular interval:

SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to write packet

, and the CPU load indicator maxes out and stays there until I
reboot. (killing cdparanoia doesn't solve the problem).

This problem doesn't happen with another CD-rom on the same controller
(Panasonic 7502 CDR), which can extract from this CD.

2 questions:
1. What can be causing it? Is my SCSI card misconfigured or what?
2. How can I reset SCSI bus without rebooting? When the problem
happens, the CDROM locks up (can't eject).

FWIW, I'm using kernel 2.2.9, and the SCSI card is QLogic ISP 10,
PCI.

Thanks for any input!!!
--
Arcady Genkin